Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Back to Work

Well, Monday was back to work for me. I have been off since May 30th and I can't believe how fast the time has flown. It has been really hard for me to believe that school is getting ready to start again as I am faced with another milestone in the life of my oldest son. Colin starts 9th grade this year which means he is going to high school!!!!! I can barely wrap my brain around the fact that my firstborn, my little Colin- is starting high school. Unlike most mothers, I didn't cry or have any angst, nor separation anxiety when Colin started Kindergarten. I was excited! I was brimming with pride as I got him ready for the first day of Kindergarten and couldn't wait to hear all about his first day of "big boy" school. I knew that Colin was ready for Kindergarten and that Kindergarten was ready for Colin, even though he would still be only four years old when school started. I remember that many mothers at that time were delaying their children starting kindergarten if their birthdays were in July, August, or early September. Some were holding their children back if they were small for their age. With Colin's birthday being August 29th, I could have done the same thing, but I could see no reason for Colin not to start Kindergarten that year. He was bright, inquisitive,mature for his age, and although you can't tell it now, he was not small for his age.
I guess because Colin progressed from elementary to intermediate to middle school I did not seem to notice that my baby was approaching young adult status. It has become painfully obvious to me that starting high school means the ever looming ending of childhood. So, with the starting of a new school year approaching, gone is the anxious excitement I had on the first day of grade K. I am completely in awe that the years have flown by so fast and my first born is starting high school. Wasn't it just yesterday that Gabe and I took him to kindergarten and showed him how to open his milk carton?

2 comments:

PCarlock said...

Wow! that is hard to believe. Tosha and I are just getting started. I can't imagine Josiah being that age. It's funny because as soon as a child leaves the womb they are slowly growing away from us to become more independent. Hang in there! You are a great mother and your oldest baby boy is going to be a wonderful young man.

I enjoyed reading your blog. Maybe you can help me get one started for Reed-Smith.

C and T Orvin said...

Well - still waiting for an update with pics!!! Glad you guys are doing great...motherhood is something everyone should experience!!! Including Men!